Book Group Questions for Beneath the Shadows
1. The past is still too close to us… How does the past infiltrate and affect the present in Beneath the Shadows?
2. Grace is driven by her need for resolution: did you see this as an obstacle or a necessity for her?
3. Ghosts, omens, clocks that stop and start by themselves – is there a supernatural element in Roseby, or was it all just a figment of Grace’s imagination?
4. Windows and reflections are strong symbols in the novel. How do you interpret their significance?
5. Not only is Grace reading Rebecca, but throughout the book the classic novel is alluded to in others ways too. Consider these parallels, and what they contribute to the story.
6. By the end, the mystery of Adam’s disappearance is resolved. Yet Adam didn’t tell Grace where he’d put their money, his relationship with Jenny, or the existence of the cellar. How much do you think the reader gets to know the ‘real’ Adam?
7. How did you interpret Grace’s strange dreams? Were they warnings, her subconscious trying to process her fears, or something else?
8. How important is Annabel to the story? What role does she play?
9. Is Meredith a villain or a victim?
10. By going through their belongings and their memories, Grace seems to be trying to understand who Adam’s grandparents were. How far can she succeed, do you think? And why is this so important to her?col-md-2